Submissions are currently closed.
Please read the description of what we do and what we are looking for carefully.
We accept new plays and screenplays, scripts in development, partial scripts, drafts - anything in progress. Our readings are designed to provide an opportunity to further script development, so we're excited about work that is not yet 'complete'. Each workshop reading features two playwrights and we typically read a half hour of each script. Additional information for writers and Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.
Our submission fee is $7.00 USD per submission.
Our aim is provide an informal, festive space to hear your work and get feedback from actors, directors, dramaturgs, and theater lovers.
We are happy to accept submissions that are being shopped elsewhere, but we ask that you contact us if your script is selected for another workshop, a staged reading, or production.
Your submission MUST:
- Be in progress. Our aim is to provide a space that will help you develop your work. If your script or screenplay is 'finished', has had full productions, or is about to be produced, we are not the right organization for you. We are happy to consider work that has had prior workshops or informal/staged readings, if you still consider your script in development.
- Pass the Bechdel Test. You must have at least two women, with names, who have a full scene/conversation that is not about their romantic relationships.
- We are constantly discussing the Bechdel Test and the way it serves (or fails to serve) our mission. We know that as a 'test', there are flaws and gaps. We are indeed interested in scripts that push boundaries and raise discussion points - however, this is our baseline. Please do not send us two-handers with one man and one woman or scripts with only one woman. Please do not send all male scripts. While a script that does not pass the Bechdel Test may indeed feature complex, dynamic roles for women, it is not what we are looking for. We want those roles AND non-romance interaction.
- Support our mission of fostering strong, complex, dynamic roles for women.
What we want:
- Complex, layered women.
- Thoughtful consideration of your needs in terms of script development - we look at the questions you're asking about your work carefully.
What we do not want:
- Scripts that just manage to pass the Bechdel Test. If your main character goes 60 pages without interacting with anyone but men, chances are good we will not be interested. If your qualifying scene does not forward your plot, chances are good we will not be interested.
- Scripts where the passing scene does not forward the plot.
- Male dominated or centered stories.
- Scripts you feel are 'done.'
Questions? Clarifications? Contact us!